Ciao! This is my blog documenting my Cultural Immersion Experience in Rome, Italy, from Jan. 19th - May 12th. I am a junior at Castleton State College in Vermont, and part of my graduation requirements include spending at least fifteen weeks abroad, becoming immersed in the culture and the community. I post once a week at a minimum.

Sunday, March 15, 2015

Finally some cultural immersion progress!

Yes, you read that correctly!

The week before midterms, I, Kaitlin Morrison, as a member of the Volunteer Club at the American University of Rome, participated in a bake sale, with the funds going to two different local organizations by the school. The first organization is IoLibero, a local dog shelter, and the second organization is KIM, a center for children and their mothers who need medical care in Rome. We raised about 400 Euro, which is amazing considering the entire student body is about 500 students.

I baked seven loafs of banana bread and a chocolate torte, all of which was sold. I also sat at the table and talked about the Volunteer Club and the two organizations, both of which the Volunteer Club is hoping to continue to support over the semester. We have asked both organizations how we can help directly, but haven't gotten a response yet.

I am personally waiting to hear back from IoLibero, to see how I can volunteer directly with them, maybe by walking the dogs or helping to clean out the kennels.

Also, during spring break there are RetakeRoma events going on all week, and I plan on participating in a few.

(I understand this is all small progress, but any progress is better than none in my opinion!)

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like very good progress to me. I especially like that you had a chance to bake. Baking is something that many of us really enjoy (don't know about you) but often don't have a chance to do on a trip like this. Good luck with the dogs!

    ReplyDelete